Yay!! Christmas time.. Myself and my family loves Christmas. Its all about the Cold weather, Holidays, Lights and Good food-Yes, who doesn’t like it. The festive mood kicks in right from Halloween for us. Thanks to Swathi Iyer of Zesty South Indian Kitchen for keeping our spirits high by suggesting many good Christmas recipes.
This months Baking partners challenge was to bake a traditional French dessert ~ ‘Yule log or Bûche de Noël!’
[Warning: A highly addictive dessert!!]
Traditional Bûche is made up of sponge cake or genoise. It is baked in a shallow pan, filled with chocolate buttercream and rolled in to a log. It is frosted again with chocolate buttercream, refrigerated and served cold.
This dessert can also be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer. Just switch it back to the refrigerator a day before you want to use it.
1/2 cup of All purpose flour
1/4 cup of Corn starch
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon of Sugar
3 eggs, separated
4 tablespoons of Butter, melted
1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
1/4 cup of Cherries, chopped
3-4 cups of Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
• Preheat oven to 350F. Grease, line and dust a 9 X 13 inch pan.
• In a stand mixer attached with whisk attachment, add egg whites with half the quantity of sugar. Mix it till you get a stiff peak. Keep it aside.
• In another mixing bowl, add the yolk and the remaining sugar. With a hand mixer mix it to pale yellow.
• Add all purpose flour, corn starch, vanilla extract and melted butter. Mix it well then add the egg whites.
• Mix it gently until the mixture is well combined. Pour it in to the prepared pan, level it and then transfer it in to the oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
• When the cake is baking, take a clean kitchen towel and lay it flat over the counter. Dust powdered sugar on it and keep it ready.
• Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven. Run a knife around the corners and transfer it on to the dusted kitchen towel. Start rolling the cake with the towel like a log when the cake is still warm. Allow it to cool in the cooling rack for an hour.
Simple Syrup Recipe
1/4 cup of Sugar
1/4 cup of Water
1-2 drops of Vanilla extract
In a small saucepan, heat sugar and water. Allow it to boil for couple of minutes. Switch off the stove and let it cool. Add Vanilla extract.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1 cup of Unsalted butter
3 and 1/4 cups of Powdered sugar
1/2 cup of Cocoa powder
2 teaspoons of Vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3-4 tablespoons of Milk or cream
In a large mixing bowl, blend butter for few minutes till they become pale and fluffy. Sift 3 and 1/4 cups of powdered sugar and cocoa in to it. Add vanilla extract, salt and milk or cream and mix well till they reach the desired consistency. Chocolate buttercream frosting is ready.
Yule Log Assembly
• Slowly unroll the cake. Dampen it with the simple syrup using a pastry brush.
• Add Chocolate buttercream frosting and chopped cherries. Roll it back into a log.
• Toss the rest of Chocolate buttercream on top of the log and level it. Trim the edge of the log using a sharp knife at an 45 degree angle. Place it on the side of the log like a branch. Frost it again and the transfer it in to the refrigerator and allow it to cool for 2 hours.
• With a fork draw lines and decorate with cherries. Serve chilled.