Vendhaya Kali is one of the most healthiest breakfast. During my early childhood days in Madurai, my Mom used to make it every Sunday during Summer. Now my 2 & almost 4 year old developed the taste for this Vendhaya Kali.
Soak & Grind
Idly Rice 1 Cup
Fenugreek 2 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
Jaggery 1 cup
Cardamom 1 or 2
Sukku or Dry ginger less than 1/2″
Sesame oil req
• Wash and Soak Idly Rice, Fenugreek for 5 hours. Grind it to a very fine buttery paste by adding enough water at regular intervals along with the salt.
• Add 1 cup of water to the grounded batter and mix it thoroughly with no lumps to dosa batter consistency.
• Take a heavy bottomed vessel. Add the batter to it and keep stirring it continuously at a medium flame
• Have a bowl of water close by to check the kali consistency. Dip your fingers in cold water then touch the Kali. It should not be sticky. Kali is then ready.
• Dissolve Jaggery with water. Filter it to remove the scum. Again reheat it with Cardamom and Dry Ginger to a little thick consistency.
• Keep the Kali in a plate. Make a well in the center. Drizzle the syrup and little Sesame oil on top and serve hot.