Today, we had some friends for dinner. I made this Shrimp Biryani. This recipe was shared by my best friend Angel John! She is an amazing cook and an expert in Biryani making!
Sea food lovers? You don’t have to make any excuse. It’s 100% worth the try.
Shrimp 1 lb
Basmati rice 2 Cups
Onion 1, thinly sliced
Tomato 1, finely chopped
Mint bunch, Chopped
Coriander little, Chopped
Chilli powder 1 tbsp
Coriander powder 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Green chillies 4, chopped
Ginger 1 1/2″
Garlic 4-5 cloves
Cinnamon 2″ stick
Bay leaves 2
Cumin 1 tsp
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Yogurt 1/2 Cup
• Clean, devein Shrimp and wash it thoroughly.
• Marinate it with Yogurt, Chilli powder, Coriander powder, turmeric and little salt for an hour.
• Wash and soak Rice for 30 mins. Drain the water and keep it aside.
• Take a big pot. Heat 2 tbsp oil. Add Cinnamon, Bay leaves, Cloves, Cardamom, Cumin and Fennel seeds. Sauté it for a while.
• Add the finely chopped onion and sauté it to golden brown.
• Grind Ginger, Garlic, Green Chillies, half of Mint and half of Coriander with very little water to a paste and add it to the sautéed onion. Cook it for few mins.
• Add the tomatoes, rest of mint and coriander and continue to cook till the tomatoes shrink.
• Now add the marinated Shrimp. Cook it in medium flame for 5 -10 mins.
• Add the soaked rice and enough water. I added 2 1/2 cups ( Water should stand 1/2″ above the leveled Rice ) Adjust the salt taste.
• When you see the Rice getting cooked up, Cover the pot and keep ‘Dhum’.
• Heat a unused Dosa tawa. Transfer the pot on top of it. Slow cook it for 30-60 mins.
• Switch off the stove and let it sit for an hour before you serve.
• Shrimp Biryani is ready to be served with Raita!