Ennai Kathirikai Curry is all time favorite dish for me and my husband. In this recipe the Baby Eggplant is carefully slit and stuffed with fresh grounded masala, pan fried and then cooked in spicy tamarind curry.
Brinjal/ Eggplant -6
Onion 1 medium size, chopped
Sambhar powder 2 tbsp
Coriander powder 1 tbsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Tamarind extract 2 cups from lemon size ball
Mustard 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
Curry leaves 1 strand
To Roast & Grind
Channa dhal 2 tbsp
Coriander seed 1 tbsp
Urad dhal 1 tbsp
Dry Red Chilli 2
Grated Coconut 2 tbsp
Cumin 1 tsp
Fennel 1/2 tsp
• Dry roast all the ingredients listed under To Roast & Grind except Coconut and then grind it along with coconut.
• Slit the eggplant in to 4 parts. Make sure you don’t cut it fully.
• Stuff the grounded masala in to each slit of the Eggplant.
• Heat a wide pan. Add little oil and pan fry the stuffed eggplant. Making sure all the sides gets roasted. Remove it and keep it aside.
• Take a new pan, heat little oil and add mustard, allow it to crackle then add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, onions one by one sautéing it.
• When the onions turn golden brown, add the tomatoes. Cook for a while.
• Add the tamarind extract.
• Now add the Sambhar powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric and salt. Mix it well.
• Add the pan fried stuffed eggplant in to the curry. Cook in medium flame for 5 mins.